Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents Are Life-Changing and Costly
Although motorcycles offer a thrilling, efficient commuting option, they also increase the risk of serious injuries to riders involved in accidents. Because of the lack of protection and smaller size of motorcycles, riders can experience catastrophic motorcycle accident injuries including brain injuries and even death. At Vigil & Alford, PLLC, attorneys Jimmy Vigil and Kim Alford Everette aggressively represent personal injury victims in Colorado Springs, CO, and throughout the surrounding areas. We understand how your injuries can affect you for the rest of your life, and we work with medical experts, life care planners, and other sources to pursue the compensation you deserve. To schedule your complimentary consultation at your home, hospital room, or other convenient location, call our team at (303) 756-9935 or send us an online message.
Common Types of Injuries
Motorcycle accidents present unique opportunities for injury because riders are unprotected by seatbelts and other safety features offered by an enclosed vehicle. The most common types of injuries from motorcycle accidents include:
- Road rash: Caused by skidding across the pavement, road rash can occur even if you are wearing protective gear due to the speed at which accidents occur. Road rashes are painful and can leave you with lifelong scars.
- Fractures and broken bones: When you come into contact with the roadway, the impact can shatter bones throughout your body, requiring extensive medical care and rehabilitation.
- Loss of limbs: In some cases, riders can suffer from limb loss directly caused by the accident or subsequent amputation.
- Burns: If a motorcycle or vehicle ignites after an accident, motorcyclists can suffer serious or lethal burn injuries.
- Traumatic brain injury: Although helmets can reduce the risk of head injury, serious crashes can cause permanent physical and behavioral side effects.
- Whiplash: Being bucked off of a motorcycle can result in painful whiplash and its long-lasting side effects.
- Spinal cord injury: Back injuries can result in partial or full paralysis, preventing you from working or caring for yourself.
- Wrongful death: Unfortunately, many motorcycle accidents result in the death of a loved one.
These injuries require immediate medical care. In many cases, the victim must undergo lifelong physical or rehabilitative therapy. In addition to physical injuries, victims can suffer from psychological and emotional damage, which may necessitate ongoing psychiatric services.
In 2013 alone, there were over 4,000 fatalities from motorcycle crashes, which contributed to 14 percent of all traffic-related deaths.
Victims of motorcycle accidents often experience catastrophic, even fatal, injuries.
Consequences of Motorcycle Accidents
The consequences of a motorcycle accident can last a lifetime, and include:
- High medical bills for immediate care and future needs
- An inability to return to the same job type, or being unable to return to work at all
- Lost wages for time off work during recovery, follow-up visits to the doctor, or for therapy sessions
- Intangible pain and suffering
The greater your injury, the greater the consequences will generally be.
The Likelihood of Death
In many cases, a motorcycle accident results in death. In 2013 alone, there were over 4,000 fatalities from motorcycle crashes, which contributed to 14 percent of all traffic-related deaths. The families of victims may be entitled to recover damages for loss of future income, funeral expenses, and loss of consortium. Intangible damages are difficult to prove on your own, but a knowledgeable attorney can help build a compelling case supported by expert evidence and witnesses. Our attorneys have helped previous clients recover substantial compensation, including multi-million dollar results.
We Are Here to Help
Our team understands that no amount of compensation will reverse your accident, injuries, or the death of a loved one. However, full and fair compensation can help you get the justice you deserve to begin on the road to recovery. We work with reconstruction experts to determine the cause of your accident and offer free consultations to help you get the answers you deserve. To schedule yours, contact us online, or call us at (303) 756-9935.
“By submitting this message, I understand that no attorney-client relationship is established or created. I further understand that no such attorney-client relationship will exist unless a written agreement is reached between myself and an authorized attorney from Vigil & Alford, PLLC.”